After several issues with the bee hive supplies, we managed to get them built. (The quality just flat out sucks. We’ll make our own from here on out.) Yesterday, the weather finally cooperated for painting. One hive will be white and the other will be yellow. The different colors will help both the bees and us with identification of the hives.
And we’ve decided on a location for them: Out by the shed, near the drainage creek. They won’t be continually annoyed by the kids’ playing, nor most of the lawnmowing. Steve & Cody worked on finishing the clearing in that area that I started a month or so ago. The bees will do better in sun than shade, plus that chunk right there was nothing but honey locust and cedar anyway. We’ll be leaving the Bois d’Arc.
We harvested the first of the worm tea and I’ve started feeding the seedlings with it. I know, it makes for a pretty boring picture but I still think it’s exciting! The plants agree with me.
The inserts from TekSupply arrived — in two days! I managed to get the rest of the true potato seedlings separated, along with all of the mass-planted tomatillos.
A gardening buddy, Jay, sent me some leftover seed potato tubers he wasn’t going to plant: Red Thumbs, Cherry Red, Kennebec, Yukon Gem, and Yellow Finn. There were about six of each until I robbed them for an experiment.
I’m planting half of each variety in the normal manner but the other half I’ve shallow planted in soilless media. I’ll be experimenting with pulling starts and/or taking cuttings. Thanks to Wendy, Tom, and other potato-crazed gardeners for the inspiration!