Almost…

So I’ve got these guys that I mass planted…

Using the dense planting method, I sow a gazillion seeds very, very thickly in each pot or cell.  Then, once they germinate and grow up a bit, starting to get their first true leaves, I separate them and put them each in their own pots/cells.  There are thousands of seedlings packed in there.  Saves a heck of a lot of space and seed starting media in the beginning.

But you’ll notice that, once I pot these little babies up, there is no way I’ll have enough room under my makeshift light set up.  What’s a girl to do?

This!

Got it figured out yet?  Huh?

11 Responses to “Almost…”

1. Tracy March 24, 2014 at 7:46 am #

I do know that I just need to steal your carpenter for a few days to get my to-do list done. LOL. How do you think he would be building a milk shed?

• Diane March 24, 2014 at 8:00 am #

The man is a genius — he can build anything! But good luck finding time for him to do it in between his work hours. LOL

2. Mo March 24, 2014 at 8:31 am #

Reminds me a lot of Carman’s greenhouse in the ’70. My first job after — well, after — was transplanting those new seedlings from the tray to individual pots. But your hoop house looks a lot sturdier than theirs. Good luck!

• Diane March 24, 2014 at 8:56 am #

Ah, so you’re experienced. Get your butt up here and help me! ;-)

• Mo March 24, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Oh yeah!

You have no idea how many times I have wished you’d stopped by with your containers and gathered me up when you moved. However, after having read your posts for the past couple of years, I suspect I would have worked myself to death trying to keep up with you.

3. Robin March 24, 2014 at 11:46 am #

Bowing in your direction. That many seedlings scare me. It’s all I can do to get my few up and planted. Once they’re planted, I’m OK, but the starting….I’ve killed too many flats full.

• Diane March 25, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

We’d make a great team then. I do pretty good at growing seedlings. But watch out once they get in the ground! I invent new ways to kill things every year!

4. nancy March 24, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Terry had a good time enjoyed working with Steve looks like they did a good job

• Diane March 25, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

Thanks for lending us your husband! I know Steve enjoyed and appreciated his help!

5. Ilene March 24, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

Oh, I’m JEALOUS! But seriously, I’m showing Hubs your design. Looks like something we ought to be able to do…. Keep us updated on progress. I wanna see what it’s going to look like inside, how Steve will build plant racks and so on.

With this many plants you must have plans for selling. Going to do the Farmer’s Market? Roadside Stand? Sign at the corner? Or just sell the extra plants? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Diane March 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

I do sell a few plants plus I like to have lots on hand to share with friends and neighbors. I’ll also donate some to 4-H as a fundraiser. And, of course, you know I need backups for when I kill some, hail hits, and birds decide to land right on them. Heh.