Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h05/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
The Darkest before the Dawn. | Speedkin

The Darkest before the Dawn.

This has been one incredibly long winter.  I do not know how much more I can take.  I’m losing my mind.

Today, it is in the 40s.  Normally, I’d be grumbling about how cold it is but today?  After this winter?  I hauled my hibernating butt outside and enjoyed the heck of it!  The garden still looks like a frozen wasteland but I have a pretty good imagination.

grapes

Those are the pitiful grapes I planted late last fall.  A friend called me one day and told me that Lowe’s had some grapes and other small fruits clearanced out.  I went down and checked it out.  Sure, enough, there were various berries and over a dozen grapes left.  Turns out that the fruit was supposed to be delivered somewhere much further south so the big wigs said to clearance the heck out of them and move them out.  Between that and my military vet discount, I was able to snag them all for under $2 each.  Bam.  For that sort of price, I’m not terribly picky.

For my own future reference, here’s the variety:

grapetag

Oh, garden.  You poor, poor garden.  Spring is coming, I promise.

gardensnow

10 Responses to “The Darkest before the Dawn.”

1. Ilene February 19, 2014 at 5:10 am #

Great grapes for wine, jam and juice! They grow well in the north so they should do well for you.

I remember what it was like, living in northern Indiana. We got all that lake-effect snow and had it on the ground from Halloween till Mother’s Day. I never had such trouble with Cabin Fever in my whole life. But hang in there, spring is not far away now.

• Diane February 19, 2014 at 11:48 am #

One of the neighbors must have seen the gonna-lose-it twitch in my eye yesterday. She was driving by as I was meandering around the garden. She stopped and got a most pitiful look on her face, telling me to hang in there, it couldn’t last forever. She’s lived here her whole life and she said this seems like the longest winter she can remember.

Good to hear about the grapes!

2. Diana G February 19, 2014 at 11:38 am #

I love the archway! What’s it made of? I’m going to do one this year for my squashes; what do you use yours for?

• Diane February 19, 2014 at 11:49 am #

Cattle panels and t-posts. I’ve grown pole beans, peas, and cukes on them here. In OK, I grew some small melons and squash on similar ones. I especially love it for the beans, peas, & cukes, though, as it makes harvesting a breeze!

• Diana G February 20, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Looks fantastic. I was thinking about trying it with some of those concrete-underlayment-reinforcement panels, made of thick, stiff wire in squares, that they sell at Home Depot for $7. I have no idea how much cattle panels are but I’d bet more than $7, lol! Do you move it around the garden or just rotate the crops around it?

• Diana G February 20, 2014 at 9:35 am #

Oh PS, am I the only one that thinks it’s hilarious that there’s nutrition information on the grapes…. and that it says they’re low in saturated fat? Is there anyone ever who’s like, “No! I’m not gonna plant grapes! Hm, this says they’re low in cholesterol… I’ll give it a shot I guess.”

• Diane February 20, 2014 at 9:51 am #

Me, too! I remember thinking something similar when I bought them. :-D

• Diane February 20, 2014 at 9:51 am #

Concrete reinforcement wire is probably not the best choice but I don’t know. Might work? I made 100+ tomato cages from CRW and they’re okay for that but the welds that hold the criss-crossing wire together are fairly weak. They pop off with much action. If you try it, let me know how it goes so I can copy you! I need a couple more arch trellises but don’t want to pony up the $25-30 each for panels. Nope, I don’t move it. Too lazy for that! That’s part of why I need more — so I can do better with crop rotations.

3. Paula February 19, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

OH MY!!!! But Diane – LOOK at ALL you have prepared!!!!! I’m so jealous. Saw the pics of Little Miss the other day. I can’t hardly believe that’s the cute little baby that was playing in my front yard not that many years back….{sniff, sniff}

• Diane February 20, 2014 at 9:46 am #

We sure have done a lot of work since we moved here but, of course, it’s always “in progress”.

I know! She was just a few months old the last time you saw her. Dang kids grow too fast.