Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h03/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
A visit to the funny farm + a plea for help from the color coordinated. | Speedkin

A visit to the funny farm + a plea for help from the color coordinated.

We got to go play at Gail’s this weekend.  What fun!  She has loads of White Silkie chickens, big ol’ honkin’ turkeys, a bunch of goats, and two different types of pot bellied pigs.  See that white goat with kids back by Nellie in the green coat?  That’s Cotton — twin to my Cotton.  I cannot tell you how much I love that both of our Saanens are sisters named Cotton.  Remember the “This is my brother Darrell and this is my other brother Darrell” from whatever Bob Newhart show?  Heh.

cotton

On pig in particular, Lele, loved Duke and me very, very much.  Here, she’s deciding that she likes Duke so much that she’d like to put her snout…

precrotchshot

Right into his crotch!  Whammy!  (Notice the smirk on Charlie’s face?)

crotchwhammy

BAM!  Going for the jewels again!  Man, does she ever love Duke.

crotchagain

She seemed to be rather interested in my toes.

leleme1

But, aw, what a sweet piggy!

leleme2

BAM!  She tries to get me!  When I would let her smooch on my toes, she kept trying to get between my legs.

leleme3

Trying for access from behind.  I think I might have fallen on her back and gone for a ride if it weren’t for my ninja reflexes!

leleme4

And now for those with taste:  I could not get a good pic of the carpet to show the color but, if you look at the middle of this pic, that’s pretty close.  It’s more rich in person, though.  If you look back at the kitchen post from a while back, you can see more of it.  Again, the color isn’t quite right in the pics.  (The carpet to the left is a faded blue, almost gray, from Isaac’s room.  I’m not worried about that right now.)   The blue-green-teal-something is all over the dining room, living room, master bedroom, and hallway.

I’m going to paint the walls now that Josie is out of her crayon-on-the-walls stage.  But I’m completely clueless what sorts of colors.  Help!

The living room is first up.  It gets lots of light through a set of big, south-facing front windows.  All of our trim is crappy, darkish, fake-wood junk.  We’ll eventually get it changed out for something more substantial but, in the meantime, we have more important tasks at hand.  I can give it a quickie paint job, though.

Oh, I just found some pics I took of the living room not long after we moved in.  Of course, things have been rearranged since then but the basics remain the same.

carpet

9 Responses to “A visit to the funny farm + a plea for help from the color coordinated.”

1. Ilene February 11, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Well! I went back and looked at the kitchen pics and I kinda like that teal color. I don’t think I’d do white walls again if it were me, it seems a little too stark. You need a softer color, but I wouldn’t do any of the beiges that are yellowish. There is a very pale green that’s in the formica on your kitchen bar that might be pretty but then again it might be too much green…. Let me think for awhile. Would you be open to sponge or rag painting? You could introduce the dark color of the carpet and then a taupe, with the existing white as your base color.

Boy, that pig’s got some definite social problems, LOL!! I hate when dogs do that. Guess it’s a primal thing, they can’t really know you till they know your smell, right? OK then, go for the dang armpits, NOT the crotch! Heh.

• Diane February 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

I think I’d hate an all-green room but who knows? I’m really bad at these sorts of decisions. Sponge or rag? I wouldn’t mind but it all has to be done in one shot, no waiting for coats to dry. We have too much furniture in that room to move back and forth and too many bodies that need the space for it to be out of commission for very long at all. I guess I could do one wall at a time? Man, if it needs drying time between stages, that could take forever!

• Ilene February 11, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Yeah, you could do a wall at a time. It doesn’t take but about an hour for latex paint to dry. The paint that you have…. is it latex (water base) or oil? I’m thinking a solid color of light green WOULD be too much green. But if you ragged you’d have the white and the taupe for interest. But you have to consider what it is YOU like and have time for. I’d hate for it to turn out to be something you’d hate after awhile.

• Diane February 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

I’m pretty sure the paint is latex. I could always buy some paint, too, and use that white for other things.

If it only takes an hour or so to dry, I could do one layer, working my way around the room. By the time I got back to where I started, it’d probably be dry and I could go around with the second layer, right?

• Diane February 11, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

I keep thinking some sort of soft yellow maybe? Or maybe I just like the bright & sunny look and, in reality, it would look really stupid in there.

• Ilene February 11, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Nothing looks stupid if you love it. I guess I’m just not a fan of yellow. But you have to do what makes YOU happy. Look around your room. You have other colors in your furniture and curtains. Is there a color there that you really like, that might look pretty on the wall? If there’s lots of color, maybe a background color? Can you tint just a little bit of paint and paint a small area that’s easy to get to, to see if you like it? It can always be painted over if you don’t, but at least it will help you to visualize what the whole room would look like. Personally, I like gray tones, but that’s just me, and probably influenced by the colors I’ve had to live with for the last couple of years.

• Diane February 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I thought about picking something from the crap in the room but those aren’t permanent. I’d hate to put the energy into painting and then, a couple years down the road, have “new” furniture and look goofy. I’d rather just paint to match the carpet (although, I’m dying to rip that sucker up! It’ll be changing to wood once of these (distant) years.) and make me happy.

• Carol February 11, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

I guess I wouldn’t be the one to ask, because I pick wild colors sometimes. LOL Actually I only pick the wild colors for accent colors and I really like having one wall different. Have you thought about going with a neutral on all the walls, then maybe doing a sponge or rag method to pick up the color of the carpet? You wouldn’t need much of the carpet color showing to make it pull together. Like Ilene said, stay away from the white walls. My take on white walls is that they look unfinished, or like rentals you weren’t allowed to paint.

My kitchen is sort of wall to wall white cabinets, but the small part that is painted is a pretty coral and I love it.

• Diane February 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

That’s not a bad idea, either. I, too, tend to pick wacky colors if left to my own tastes. I have no sense of style and taste whatsoever. My “style” is sort of Disney Vomit meets LSD Nightmares. And, really? I’m cool with that. But I don’t want visitors to walk in and start projectile puking all over my funky teal carpet.