Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h05/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
Out of commission | Speedkin

Out of commission

FYI:   We have no Internet at home (except for the iPhone) so no blogging for a while.  Have been having increasing connectivity issues for the past few months. Replaced router yesterday and, today, the satellite modem died. Spent 7.5 hours on the phone with HughesNet today trying to resolve it all. Holy snot balls. I’m in such a great mood now.

The main point?  A new modem will be mailed out on Monday.  5-7 business days, they say.  If it works, I’ll see ya then.  If not, it’ll take us a few more days to find another provider.

6 Responses to “Out of commission”

1. Darthclue December 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Been there, done that. It sucks. It’ll be nice when our great grand kids have fiber to every home, right?

And yes, despite the rumors I am still alive, just barely.

• Diane December 28, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

You live!! Glad to see you! You need to not fade off into the sunset so much.

2. Mo December 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Cough. I’ve spent two Sundays on chat with Windstream. While I don’t expect the 1.5 I pay for, I’m not happy with 0.06 download. This has been going on for — well, I waited a couple of weeks before complaining the first time on October 14. The tech promised it would get fixed. I went back November 4, hours, until finally the tech said he’d send someone to the house (even though I told him I wouldn’t be home the next day). Came home to find a hang tag telling me it was nothing in my equipment but Windstream was having problems with download bandwith and was working to fix the problem “ASAP” — In the meantime, I continue to get solicitations from them for new customers, and my video viewing is nil between noon or one p.m, and three to four a.m.

Reminds me of an old saying attributed (facetiously) to AT&T before the breakup: “We may be the only phone company in town — and we darn well know it!”

Commiserations.

Mo

3. Ilene December 29, 2012 at 5:14 am #

Oh, you poor dear! That’s sure frustrating. Hughesnet is offered out here, too, but we have a couple of other options from local businesses and most people use them because Hughesnet is expensive, not that the others aren’t, and there are performance troubles with it. If you can get internet on your phone, can you “dock it” on your computer? I’m seriously considering that for in the future. Good luck! Hugs,XOXOXO

• Diane January 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

Nope, Ilene, I can’t do that tethering thing. I have an iPhone and AT&T with the original unlimited data plan. In order for them to allow me to tether, I’d have to “upgrade” to a different data plan that has bandwidth limits. I’m not giving up my unlimited so I can pay more for less. Stupid AT&T.

4. Jessica December 29, 2012 at 8:11 am #

I don’t know what you guys are complaining about: our new Internet is perfect…sigh, if only.