Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h05/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
Who’s coming for Thanksgiving this year? | Speedkin

Who’s coming for Thanksgiving this year?

Those two dozen turkey eggs we got from Gail a few weeks ago?

One dozen Bourbon Reds and one dozen suprises — a mix of BRs, Narrangasetts, Blue Slates, and one lone Black Spanish hen.

Out of two dozen eggs, sixteen hatched out.  One died overnight so we got fifteen live poults out of the hatch.  Not too shabby.

I think we got a nice mix out of them but only one Blue Slate.

The ones with the Black Spanish mom have a black ring around their eyes, giving them a freaky alien look.

But they all look like Thanksgiving dinner to me!

Josie begged for the camera so we get to see what the poults look like from her angle.

Another from the county’ss youngest photographer.

So who shall I put on the guest list for Thanksgiving this year?

7 Responses to “Who’s coming for Thanksgiving this year?”

1. Gail May 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

How very precious! I’m so glad the eggs hatched for you. I’ve only hatched out 2 blue slate myself so far… definately hard to get those eggs when Wilma will only lay one egg every 2-3 days!

• Diane May 8, 2012 at 9:32 am #

I’ll have to get some more Blue Slate eggs from you one of these days so I can keep the breed going myself. But, dang, I’m about burned out on incubating for this year so I won’t pester you until next year. :-D

Another poult died last night — one of the Black Spanish. That brings us down to 14, I think. Still plenty enough!

2. Grandma May 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Thanks for the invite. Can’t wait to see them in person. Lots of furry, feathery things (and buzzy ones too I guess).

• Diane May 8, 2012 at 9:33 am #

We’ll make sure you get to pet some bees while you’re here. They’re fuzzy, too!

• Chris May 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

“pet some bees” – – I Love it!! That one made me laugh out loud–while reading it at work!

• Diane May 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

My six-year-old daughter actually does pet them when she sees the drones. Goofy girl!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. The New Hannibal Farmers Market | Speedkin - May 8, 2012

[…] other news, we had another turkey poult die overnight, one of the black ones.  That brings us down to 14 live chicks, I believe.  […]