Previous 2012 installation post: #3: Intalling the 2012 Bees.
We had considered releasing the queen the same day we installed the packages but hadn’t really made a decision. The rain on installation day decided for us. It turned out to be a quick & dirty, dump-the-bees-in thing. So a day or two later, the fellas went back through the new hives and released the queens. All went well and the bees had calmed down quite a bit. We got to see the bees doing their thing on the foundationless frames.
All of their boardman feeders were empty so Charlie refilled them. I put syrup in sun tea jugs with spigots at the bottom for easy filling of the quart jars right at the hives. Worked great!
While they were there, they dove into Max, the Carniolan hive from last year. They’re still really small, maybe the size of an apple. I just don’t know what to think about these guys. They overwintered fine but they’re just not doing much. Maybe I’ll dig in there with Charlie tonight and see what I see as far as brood & other clues.
Steve has almost finished building the inner covers so, tonight, Charlie and I will put them on and take another peek in the hives to see if the bees are behaving. Maybe I can convince Steve or Isaac to man the camera this time.
(The sun was right behind them during the above activity so the photos are not the greatest.)