Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h03/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
Double Birthday and First Frost | Speedkin

Double Birthday and First Frost

On the 13th, Tuesday of this past week, Charlie turned 11 and Isaac turned 15!  Can you believe it?!  Crazy.  Of course, Grandma Kaye came for some fun and Grandpa Steve came over for a birthday dinner to help us celebrate.  Grandma Kaye even treated us to a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi.

A couple of days ago, it frosted.  *sigh*  Goodbye, garden.  It’s not like I’ve had time to tend it much but still…  As soon as we have time to breathe, we’ll get out there and put it to bed for the winter.  I did manage to get the walking onions planted out in the new raised bed Steve made a couple of weeks back.  Oh, and potato onions!  (Thank you, Ilene!l)  Steve will get the next bed built before the end of the month so I can get the garlic planted out.

I’m still taking photos here and there but changed computers a few weeks ago and have yet to put something on this new one for photo editing.  My old computer was a Mac and the new one is a Windows so I can’t just transfer the software.  Well, that and I have no idea where it is.  In the meantime, Duke has been taking pics with his new camera (from his birthday) and learning how to edit them on his computer.  I’m not sure I like being on the wrong end of the camera…

6 Responses to “Double Birthday and First Frost”

1. Mo September 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Happy birthdays, Charlie and Isaac. Commiserations, Mom Diane, on having such big boys.

No frost here yet, of course, but at least the heat has broken. A couple of mornings, it was too chilly to read the paper and have my coffee on the porch. I actually considered turning on heat those morning but have so far resisted. It’s only mid-September, not late October. I think though I might let myself cook up a batch of biscuits next chilly mornig. Afternoons, though, have been anywhere from mid-eighties to mid-nineties.

The grand old pear tree is well and truly dead. Sigh.

Miss you all.

• Diane September 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

I think of you every time I pass a pear tree. :-)

2. Ilene September 20, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Gosh, is it normal for the first frost to come this early? Next year, you might want to think about planting turnips, kale, etc. They’ll survive early frosts and even if you don’t like them I bet the chickens would! Sounds like a good time was had by all, including the Birthday Boys. Congrats, guys, enjoy getting older while it’s still fun! Hugs

• Diane September 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

I think this was pretty early for a frost here, at least according to averages. But you know how those averages are. A lot of green stuff made it through so it must have been a quick & light one. Nothing is producing, though, so it all just needs to be put to bed for the winter. Next year, I’ll be ready for fall. It snuck up on me this year!

3. ohiofarmgirl September 25, 2011 at 7:28 am #

Hey Diane! Just wanted to make sure you got your question answered about the broilers. We get our birds from Meyer Hatchery which is here in Ohio:

Choosing the closest hatchery is usually the best bet – shorter travel time for the chicks.

Another hatchery we really love is Ideal (they are in Texas) – they have red broilers which are much more ‘chicken like’ than the Cornish X’s. You might want to give them a try:
    (look under meat birds for red broilers)

I’m not sure where you are exactly… but if you’ve been having extreme heat – that could be the culprit. These meats just cant take the heat at all. But now, fall, is a great time to get one last round going. Let me know how it goes and good luck!
    :-)
    -off

• Diane September 25, 2011 at 11:00 am #

I’d heard of Ideal but never anything positive. It’s been a few years since I “shopped” around, though, so sounds like they’ve improved. I’ll look into both hatcheries you mention, thanks!