Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h03/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
The End of the World | Speedkin

The End of the World

Josie:  I go pick peas now.

Me:  The peas are gone now, sweetie.

Josie:  Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Josie:  MY peas…

*uncontrollable sobbing*

Josie:  Go ‘way, Mommy!!  Go ‘way!

Out with the peas, in with the beans.  Better late than never, right?  80 row feet total of:

• Tennessee Cutshort
  • Long Cut Olde TImey Greasy
  • Cooper’s Running Snap
  • Cherokee Trail of Tears
  • Kentucky Wonder

13 Responses to “The End of the World”

1. Mo June 19, 2011 at 11:28 am #

Aw, Josie — I felt that way when the blackberries across the road stopped producing. Hugs!

Mo

• Diane June 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

We’re missing the wild blackberries up here. :-( Not missing the thorns, though! (Which explains why we made sure to buy thornless starts.)

• Mo June 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

I only go a little over a dozen this year. Don’t know what happened to them. I quite happily ate breakfast from those vines for weeks last year.

On a sadder note: the ancient pear tree appears to be dead. It seems that last year’s harvest was it’s last great gasp. Good old tree. I’m so happy I got to share some of its bounty.

• Diane June 20, 2011 at 8:44 am #

Oh, no. :-( I’m glad we got to “meet” the tree before it gasped its last.

2. Dave June 19, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I’m getting Josie a camera for Christmas so she can take photos of you for a change. We’ll just have to find something to make you cry, like changing your passwords on all gardening sites. I got yo back, J.

• Diane June 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Oh, fine. I’m taking you off of my Christmas list, buddy!

3. Grandma June 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

Poor Josie. Another life lesson painfully learned. Dave, they make an indestructible camera for little ones. Sounds like a plan.

• Diane June 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

My own mother, conspiring against me!

4. Feather June 19, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Would it work to plant a small patch of peas for her?

• Diane June 20, 2011 at 8:57 am #

I’m going to plant her some fall peas but, in the meantime, she’ll be happy with the upcoming tomatoes and beans. She just wants something to pick, like all of us!

5. Oldnovice June 21, 2011 at 10:05 am #

I’m going with peas in the fall, as well. She has good taste and is good looking even when she cries.

• Diane June 22, 2011 at 10:41 am #

I bet you could even grow winter peas down there. Just keep succession planting them…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Eating my lunch. | Speedkin - May 31, 2012

[…] them during their pouty period so that some pole beans could take their place.  Remembering Josie’s pea drama last year, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.  Good thing because they’re now producing […]