Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h06/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
Rain, rain, go away! | Speedkin

Rain, rain, go away!

I’m so glad we’ve gone with raised beds from the start here.  It’s been soggy so much this spring, it’d be hard on the plants to so much of their lives just trying to tread water.  We still need oodles more wood chips to make the paths walkable but, for now, we wade out in muck boots as needed.

Over the past week or so, I’ve gotten quite a bit planted:  A couple dozen Aunt Molly’s ground cherries, 47 sweet peppers (don’t ask me how many of what varieties because there was an oops involving gravity and upsidedness), 560′ of potatoes, and the following cherry tomatoes (in the front yard):

3 Baby Beefsteak
3 Juane Flammee
1 WOW cherry
3 Tommy Toes Red
3 Sweet Treats
3 Sungold
3 Sun Cherry
1 Sara’s Galapagos
4 Matt’s Wild Cherry
1 Large Red Cherry
3 Chiapa Wild
4 Black Cherry

I also managed to get the rest of the tomatillos planted around the chicken run.  The chickens will get to eat the parts that poke through the fence and provide them with some shade & windbreak if they’re lucky.

When Grandma Kaye was here for Nellie’s birthday, she brought us a half dozen Canby thornless raspberries.  Yay, Grandma Kaye!  I love raspberries!  Sure, they just look like sticks now but just you wait…

The prettiest thing in the garden right now?  These gorgeous brown mustard seed plants!

10 Responses to “Rain, rain, go away!”

1. Mo May 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

Tomatillos — yum. I’ve become addicted to salsa verde. It’s great on/in just about anything, including just being spooned over chicken parts as they oven-roast. An appropriate combination in your pics.

Mo

• Diane May 23, 2011 at 10:11 am #

We’ll definitely have enough tomatillos to experiment with. You’ll have to send me that recipe.

• Mo May 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

I’ve been looking for the recipe I adapted this from and cannot find it. Another friend posted it in her newsgroup, for carnitas. I don’t eat pork, so we messaged back and forth until I tried it with chicken. Yum. Right now, I just toss a couple of chicken parts into a Corningware casserole dish, and spoon half a small (7 oz) can of salsa verde over them, then bake/roast at 325-350 degrees until done according to a meat thermometer (45 minutes or so). Sometimes I go ahead and spoon the rest of the can of salsa verde over them, and then, sometimes, but not always, Stir in some sour cream to make a sauce for the cooked chicken.

You know me. I like good, but I also like easy….

I can get away with the 7 oz can, but for the amount of chicken or pork you’d need for your brood, you might look into the big (32 oz or more) jugs at WslMart until your crop
        comes in.

Best,

• Diane May 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Sorry, I meant your salsa verde recipe. But I’m glad to have the chicken recipe because I would have been asking for that next! I’m going shopping tomorrow so will look for salsa verde and slather a chicken in it!

• Mo May 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Sorry, no salsa verde recipe. I was hoping you had one. I’m not a big fan of cilantro — I’m one of those folks for whom too much cilantro tastes like soap — so fortunately the brand I’ve found doesn’t use much. WalMart has a big jug, well over a quart, that doesn’t list cilantro in the ingredients, but I’ve been timid about buying that large a container of something I might not like (sorry, can’t remember the brand name).

• Diane May 26, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Thanks anyway. I’ll try to find a recipe by the time the tomatillos start putting out. By the way, we LOVE cilantro!!!

2. Oldnovice May 23, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Glad you weren’t in the part of Missouri that suffered from tornadoes yesterday! No. 3 (son who wasn’t talking to me) sent me two pistachio trees for combo Mother’s Day/Birthday.

• Diane May 23, 2011 at 10:11 am #

Ooh, good gift on the pistachios! And happy birthday, belated, I assume?

3. Summersweet Farm May 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

My goodness you’ve planted so much! I thought I was doing a lot with about 45′ of potatoes and 30 tomato plants. Do you have a CSA going? I’ve been having a lot of trouble finding numbers on how much to plant for a family of four to be self-sufficient, but if you guys eat all you produce, maybe I should just copy you! :)

• Diane May 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

No, no CSA, just a lot of (big) mouths to feed and a rather obsessive addiction to gardening. :-P