Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c07/h03/mnt/108641/domains/speedkin.com/html/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme/admin/functions.php on line 115
Obsessions: Not always a bad thing. | Speedkin

Obsessions: Not always a bad thing.

Occasionally, they lead to broadening your horizons.  And driving your family and friends insane.  Or both.

I’m doing lots of reading on potatoes this year and came across this page on True Potato Seeds.  Then I clicked on the page about Adaptivar Landraces.

Oh, my.

While I’ve known that people do this (and have done this for eons), I’ve just never sat down and intentionally thought about it.  Really, truly thought about it.  I’ve always been so persnickety about keeping things distinct, I could not grok the landrace thing.  Not really.  Until today.  I can feel my skull cracking and my brain creaking as it s.t.r.e.t.c.h.e.s bit by bit to accept it as a good thing.  Maybe even something I’d like to experiment with?  Hmm…

Yes, I think I will.  I will step bravely into new (to me) territory this year.  In fact, I’ve opened my mind to quite a few new gardening-related things this year.  Things most people would snicker at like, um, DUH, is that such a big deal?  I do like to experiment and always have… but only within my comfort zone, with things I (can delude myself into thinking that I) can fully control.  This landrace thing, though. Huge.

Quit laughing!  Okay, go ahead and laugh.  I’d hate for you to choke on your tongue trying to pretend you’re not laughing.

Bonus tidbit:  Found these free ebooks that, upon superficial scanning, seem to be very cool.  I’m already reading a couple of other books so I’ll dig fully into these after I’ve finished.  I am referring to the ones by Raoul, by the way, but wanted to link you to the page where it has a little intro on him.

7 Responses to “Obsessions: Not always a bad thing.”

1. Kristin February 11, 2011 at 9:05 am #

Diane! You are going way too fast for me. Slow down! I am still working on digesting the info. re: TPS.

Though, I am thankful for all of the new information.

Thank you. :-)

K

2. Diane February 11, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Heck, I’m going too fast for me, too. My poor little brain is smoking!

3. Kristin February 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I got my TPS in the mail today. Woohoo.

• Diane February 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

What?? No fair! I hadn’t even decided until today what I was ordering. (Since I still can’t decide on varieties, I’m going to order the minituber 1# sampler box and save seeds myself.) What did you get??

• Kristin February 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

I didn’t have any idea what to get…I kept reading through the list. In the end, I just grabbed what I thought sounded good. I got:

1st Boy
        Awol Dude

and Tom sent me Nordic JT for free – WOOHOO!

I also ordered seed potatoes from my regular place (although a smaller amount than usual). I am psyched to get potatoes this year.

Thank you for sharing your research and for thinking out loud so often. :-)

K

• Diane February 11, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Very cool!! Puh-leez keep me updated in how it goes for you. I’ve got some notes I’ll email you on how to grow them. I’ve been reading ’til my eyes bleed.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? | Speedkin - August 20, 2011

[…] actually get done.  I’ve been doing okay-ish with my seed saving but there are going to be some big changes in my tomato and pepper (and more) routines next year.  For as much as we’ve had to do this year, it’s not been a bad garden […]